Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Feeling Condemned?

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death."

This verse written by Paul to the Romans, was the first verse read out by my DTS staff leader when I arrived here. I can tell you that I have read this verse numerous times and heard it spoken in church on many occasion but it was only this week that it really started to penetrate into the deepest part of my being. When reading this verse before I took great comfort in the words because I knew I was a wretched sinner, yet if I'm to be completely honest I still didn't fully believe it in my heart. I like Paul battle with sin and I'm reminded of the passage in Romans 7 where he talks about his struggles with the law and sin.

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it."

Since arriving here God has really begun to deal with things in my life. A church leader gave me some great advice before I left Ireland and it was to just be available and open to what God has in store for me. In doing this I had to allow God to deal with the past junk in my life and allow for healing. Well I can say with great joy that this process has already begun and when I had an opportunity to share my testimony yesterday, I was able to open up about the guilt and shame I felt over the way I was living. My fellow staff and students were able to gather around and pray for me. They prayed that I would know guilt and shame is an attack from the devil and that because of Christs wonderful gracious sacrifice, I have been completely cleaned. A new slate!

So this of course doesn't mean since its in my past that I don't have struggles anymore. Im a long way off but the guilt is gone and I can begin to really live in newness of life.

Paul writes to the church in Colossae about replacing the old rotten sinful ways by clothing ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Theres also a whole lot more there but I think ill try starting with this list!

Guys and girls back home, I know that you are supporting me in prayer and perhaps the above list is something that you could be praying over my life. I want to be able to live and show these fruits of the spirit in my day to day dealings.

Until next time, peace!

2 comments: