Saturday, August 27, 2016

There's something about Mary

Yesterday I visited my 87 year old Granny to say my goodbyes before leaving for America. Something happened during our chit chat that really resonated with me although I wasn't fully sure why. I had been sharing a little about my school in America and how I will be learning and deepening my relationship with God when the phone rang. My Aunt Mary left the room to answer it leaving just Granny and I to continue the conversation. As I continued to talk I noticed her lean back in her chair, and with arms folded, she raised her head to one side. At that moment I became aware of how long I had been talking and that she had something to contribute to the conversation, so I quickly shut myself up. "Paul, you remind me of Mary" was her observation. I looked out at the Kitchen assuming she was talking about my Aunt but as she continued I realised it wasn't her she was referring to.

"She just sat at the feet of Jesus while Martha busied herself in the Kitchen" she explained. I smiled as I enjoyed the delicious irony of my Aunt Mary (not Martha) busying herself in the kitchen as Granny drew this comparison. Granny went on to explain how she was so proud that I am pursuing this course and taking time out to prioritise my relationship with God above all other pursuits in life.

This morning as I reflected on our conversation I flicked over to Luke' gospel to read the account of Jesus at the home of Martha and Mary and it was water to my soul. I realised how encouraged I was that Granny drew a comparison between myself and Mary because all I could see in myself was Martha. I'm taking it as my Granny' prophetic voice!

Being so worried about my financial lack recently I was challenged by the words of Jesus to Martha. "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled by many things". That was me for sure! Allowing anxiety of bills and tuition expenses to get in the way of what Jesus wanted to give me. Jesus continues to say that only one thing is needful and that Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.

I realised from my reading this morning that society and even the church, too often gets busy with the things of this world. Most my conversations about leaving full time employment to pursue a journey of rest and focus on God, is met with rigorous questioning and profound confusion. It does not really sit well with people in my inner circle. It's seen as a lazy option and draws a reaction not unlike the reaction of Martha in the story and yet Jesus says Mary' choice was the good portion and it wouldn't be taken from her. Sometimes in life suspending employment to attend to matters of the soul is the greatest choice.

It's interesting for me to think about Martha in this story. We often paint her in a bad light because of Jesus' correction but she too was a follower of Jesus and he loved her deeply. Sometimes in our affection for Jesus we get busy with work and while that is sometimes what he is requiring of us, more often than not he is calling us to sit at his feet. We must be careful that we don't become like the double minded man in James 1:8. Unlike Mary, who received as much as Jesus was willing to give, the double minded man is in danger of not receiving anything from him. In this passage the writer of Hebrews is specifically talking about doubts but the principle can equally be applied to the story of Martha. She is a follower of Jesus and yet in her devotion she becomes so busy and distracted that she is seen as double minded and ultimately is in danger of missing out on what Jesus has to give.

I have decided that in order to not have my portion taken away from me I am going to cast aside anxiety and as the wise business man Stephen Covey once said "keep the main thing the main thing". Embracing what my Granny see's in me, I choose to be like Mary and sit and draw life from the feet of a King.

No comments:

Post a Comment