Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Does God really want to give me what I desire?

"Seek first his Kingdom and his Righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matt 6:33)

God wants to give me good gifts. I always when reading this verse read it wrong. I focus all my attention on the first part, the "seeking the kingdom and his righteousness" part and I guess I don't fully understand the "all these things part".

Do you ever feel that you should always be praying about the kingdom of God and his will and your being selfish when you pray about things you want? I certainly think that way but guess what, if we don't ask for things we want, we won't receive!

Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart" He wants to give us our desires, if we first put our trust and faith in Him. I always thought that this meant, the closer we get to know Gods character and nature (seeking him first) then His desires become our desires. Man, how wrong was I!! His desires are actually my desires now. He has put them there in the first place. This was so freeing when I received this revelation. I don't have to change my desires to appreciate his desires and slowly grow to love them. His desires and my desires are the exact same!!

How do we get these desires? Well God can't wait to give them to us because he loves giving good gifts so if we seek him out and his righteousness and make them our number 1 goal, well then all the rest he will grant us. In Matthew Jesus says "Oh you of little faith" just before the above passage and in Psalm 37 David tells us to "Trust in the Lord". I wonder does having faith and trusting have anything to do with receiving good gifts from God? Me thinks so!!

Man its so exciting. So can I encourage you readers to surrender every area of your life to him. Trust and have faith that he will bless you and grant you all your hearts desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment