Thursday, February 4, 2010

Soccer heroes


I was struck with a thought yesterday, well more of a question really, during a tense game of indoor soccer. I wondered who I considered my all time, footballing Role model? Who I would love to be compared to on the soccer pitch?

A number of wonderfully, skillful players through the decades flooded my thoughts. The likes of Ronaldo (the fat one!) just for clarification, Giggs, Zidane, Rooney, Iniesta, Zola, Bestie, Charlton, Larsson.... I got a bit carried away!!

I had to quickly snap out of this beautiful daydream as I received a pass from a team mate and found myself boxed into a corner with the football and two opposition players bearing down on top of me. I managed to shelter the ball until Dad (on my team) made space and I was able to find him with a pass. Myself and Dad link up fairly well together in indoor soccer :)

That is when it struck me...

My role model in football is none of the names on the list above!! In fact this player doesn't play in the premiership or in La Liga!!

Believe it or not, my Dad is my footballing role model. Is this sad??

He plays the game with a class that in my opinion supersedes all those other stars. He plays the game with integrity and dignity.

He is wonderfully skillful and goes by players with ease. Often his style of play reminds me of Ryan Giggs style. He has a great awareness on the pitch, where he needs to be and where to place a pass. I really enjoy being on a team with him.

His attitude is what makes him world class though. I have never seen him argue on a soccer pitch. Not even once!! He is a competitive player, yet he will not let this effect his character when playing. He will always humble himself even when other players cheat and argue decisions. He carries himself with real dignity and consequently is the most respected player at Wednesday night soccer. He always seems to enjoy himself at footie, even when it is not the greatest game.

Its a humble and gracious attitude that shines through on the pitch. That's what I look for more so, than the step overs and flicks. He is a real pro. and a true role model for any footballer.

No comments:

Post a Comment